Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Which of the following hormones is/are likely to be found at high concentrations in the hypothalamo-hypophyseal portal system?
(2) In the testes, testosterone is synthesized and secreted by __________ cells.
(3) In the vertebrate body plan, the major extracellular (i.e., intercellular) communication systems are:
(4) The term, hormone, which means to arouse or to excite, was introduced by this famous physiologist:
(5) Which of the following endocrine glands is often referred to as the "master gland" or the "master controller"?
Checking your answers...
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 Last updated: Thursday, September 24, 2015