The kidneys are of outstanding importance. They perform a number of homeostatic functions including filtration of plasma and elimination of metabolic waste products, regulation of the composition and volume of the extracellular fluid, and regulation of blood pressure. The kidneys are also endocrine organs. Test your basic knowledge of renal physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Which of the following functions are performed by the kidneys?
(2) The kidneys are responsible for producing and secreting, and/or activating the following hormone(s):
(3) The glomerulus of the following nephron type resides in the renal cortex.
(4) The loop of Henle of the following nephron type extends deep in the renal medulla toward the renal pelvis.
(5) Select the correct sequence of blood flow through renal blood vessels.