Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) The primary source for the synthesis and release of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) is:
(2) Most of the circulating brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) is synthesized and released by:
(3) Brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) is synthesized and released by:
(4) The renal action(s) of atrial natriuretic peptide include(s):
(5) Which of the following lead(s) to the release of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP)?