The auditory system is responsible for converting sound waves in the environment into electrical signals that the brain can receive and utilize as useful information about the sound characteristics of the external environment. Test your basic knowledge of auditory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Efferent fibers of the auditory nerve release this neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft between the axon terminals of these fibers and cochlear outer hair cells.
(2) Release of __________ from the axon terminals of auditory nerve efferent fibers causes __________ of cochlear outer hair cells.
(3) Release of __________ from the axon terminals of auditory nerve efferent fibers causes a(n) __________ in axial stiffness of cochlear outer hair cells.
(4) Outer hair cells of the organ of Corti receive innervation from efferent fibers of the auditory nerve. These efferent fibers originate in this region of the brainstem:
(5) Compared to non-musicians, in response to auditory stimulation by musical tones, musicians exhibit a larger than normal size of the auditory areas activated within the central nervous system.
(6) Compared to non-musicians, musicians have larger cerebellums.