Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) The major chemical classes of hormones are:
(2) Which of the following organs/structures may be classified as a non-classical endocrine gland?
(3) Triiodothyronine (T3) belongs to this chemical class of hormones:
(4) Tetraiodothyronine (T4, also known as thyroxine) belongs to this chemical class of hormones:
(5) Epinephrine (adrenaline) belongs to this chemical class of hormones:
Checking your answers...
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 Last updated: Saturday, April 23, 2016