In learning and understanding the principles of physiology (or any other discipline), it is often helpful to have a knowledge of the key events as well as scientists responsible for major discoveries that led to the current dogma accepted by most people in the field. Test your basic knowledge of the history of physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) This famous physiologist discovered the circulation of blood:
(2) Which of the following classical neurotransmitters was discovered first?
(3) After the discovery of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the mammalian brain, its inhibitory actions were first demonstrated in this tissue:
(4) Before it was determined that the inhibitory extract from the mammalian brain was in fact γ-aminubutyric acid (GABA), the extract was commonly referred to as:
(5) The term, hormone, which means to arouse or to excite, was introduced by this famous physiologist: