Caffeine, the most commonly consumed drug on the planet, is known to influence several physiological processes. Test your basic knowledge of the effect of caffeine on physiological systems by taking this simple quiz.
(1) A typical cup of decaffeinated coffee contains approximately __________ of caffeine.
(2) In humans, an overdose of caffeine is considered to be at amounts at or higher than about __________, and a lethal caffeine dose is considered to be approximately __________.
(3) In humans, approximately this dose of caffeine is thought to lead to mental alertness:
(4) In humans, approximately this dose of caffeine is thought to lead to increased blood pressure (especially in non-habitual users):
(5) In humans, increases in heart rate (tachycardia) and blood pressure (hypertension) associated with high doses of caffeine are thought to be due to:
(6) In humans, caffeine causes cerebral vasoconstriction and, hence, reduced cerebral blood flow (i.e., reduced blood flow to the brain). This effect is caused by caffeine binding to __________ receptors.
Checking your answers...
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 Last updated: Sunday, November 1, 2015