The auditory system is responsible for converting sound waves in the environment into electrical signals that the brain can receive and utilize as useful information about the sound characteristics of the external environment. Test your basic knowledge of auditory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) In response to sound stimulation, these cochlear cells are the ones primarily responsible for generating action potentials in auditory neurons.
(2) Depolarization of cochlear outer hair cells leads to __________ in the length of these cells.
(3) Hyperpolarization of cochlear outer hair cells leads to __________ in the length of these cells.
(4) The cochlea is located within the __________ part of the temporal bone of the skull.
(5) Within the inner ear, the cochlear sensory epithelium is referred to as the __________.