The auditory system is responsible for converting sound waves in the environment into electrical signals that the brain can receive and utilize as useful information about the sound characteristics of the external environment. Test your basic knowledge of auditory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) In the cochlea of the inner ear, the tectorial membrane covers both the inner and outer hair cells. However, only the tips of the stereocilia (i.e., hairs) of __________ hair cells are embedded in the tectorial membrane.
(2) Within the cochlea of the inner ear, the base of the hair cells is bathed in __________.
(3) Within the cochlea of the inner ear, the stereocilia of the hair cells are bathed in __________.
(4) Similar to the hair cells found in the semicircular canals, utricle, and saccule, each of the hair cells of the organ of Corti (inner and outer hair cells) has a kinocilium.
(5) In the inner ear hair cells, the tip of a typical stereocilium is connected to a taller, adjacent stereocilium via a fine process referred to as the __________.