Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) This subcompartment of the adrenal glands is responsible for secreting steroid hormones (mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, and sex hormones).
(2) Which of the following are neurohormones?
(3) Which of the following chemical messenger molecules acts as either a hormone or neurotransmitter (depending on the site of release)?
(4) Another name for the parathyroid hormone (PTH) is __________.
(5) Another name for the pituitary gland is __________.