Thirst is a basic and intrinsic craving for drinking fluids. When the plamsa concentration of ions increases as a result of dehydration or blood loss, thirst is stimulated in order to replenish the water lost. Test your basic knowledge of thirst physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Moderate to severe vomiting stimulates thirst.
(2) Moderate to severe diarrhea stimulates thirst.
(3) In response to dehydration (low blood volume, hypovolemia), the following structures/organs contribute to increasing thirst intensity:
(4) Dry mouth stimulates thirst.
(5) Donating 1 pint (473 mL) of blood stimulates thirst.