Hemoglobin dramatically increase the oxygen carrying capacity of blood, serving to transport large volumes of oxygen from respiratory organs to metabolically active tissues, which allows for the maintenance of the high metabolic rate enjoyed by vertebrate animals. Test your basic knowledge of hemoglobin by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Hemoglobin has a much higher affinity for carbon monoxide (CO) than it does for oxygen (O2).
(2) Hemoglobin has a much lower affinity for carbon monoxide (CO) than it does for oxygen (O2).
(3) How many heme groups are there in a hemoglobin molecule?
(4) How many oxygen binding sites are there in a hemoglobin molecule?
(5) Each heme group of hemoglobin can bind __________ oxygen molecule(s)?
Checking your answers...
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 Last updated: Saturday, May 23, 2015