Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Endocrine signaling describes a mode of communication in which:
(2) Intracrine signaling describes a mode of communication in which:
(3) Which of the following hormones is/are bound to binding proteins in the blood?
(4) In general, hormones that are transported in blood by being bound to binding proteins have __________ half-lives.
(5) In general, lipid-soluble hormones have __________ half-lives in the blood.