Test your basic knowledge of respiratory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Approximately, how many alveoli are there in the lungs (both lungs combined) of a healthy adult human being?
(2) In the respiratory system, because no gas exchange takes place between the conducting zone of the air passages and the surrounding tissues, this region is commonly referred to as:
(3) At an elevation of 9,000 feet (~2,745 meters) above sea level, the barometric pressure is approximately 543 mm Hg. Approximately, what is the atmospheric partial pressure of oxygen (O2) at this elevation?
(4) Given normal and resting ventilation and metabolic rates, the partial pressure of oxygen (PO2) in the alveoli is about:
(5) Given normal and resting ventilation and metabolic rates, the partial pressure of carbon dioxide (PCO2) in the alveoli is about: