Puberty is a period of rapid physical growth and change, brought about by hormonal changes, that culminates in sexual maturity. Test your basic knowledge of human puberty by taking this simple quiz.
(1) In most females, regular menstrual periods with regular ovulation occur approximately __________ after the first menstrual period (menarche).
(2) Gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) is released from the:
(3) Gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH), released from the hypothalamus, induces the synthesis and release of the following hormones by the anterior pituitary gland:
(4) This pattern of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) release from the hypothalamus is essential to properly trigger the start of puberty in males and females, as well as to establish regular menstrual cycles in females.
(5) During human puberty, the end of linear growth in long bones is caused by the closure of the epiphyseal plates of the long bones. This is due mainly to the action of this hormone (in both sexes):