Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Which of the following is/are true about the insulin receptor?
(2) Members of the steroid receptor superfamily are ligand-regulated transcription factors.
(3) When not bound to their specific ligands, members of the steroid receptor superfamily may be found in the:
(4) When bound to their specific ligands, members of the steroid receptor superfamily are found primarily in the:
(5) Members of the steriod receptor superfamily bind as __________ to hormone response elements within the regulatory region of target genes.