The auditory system is responsible for converting sound waves in the environment into electrical signals that the brain can receive and utilize as useful information about the sound characteristics of the external environment. Test your basic knowledge of auditory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) This structure separates the external ear from the middle ear.
(2) This structure is responsible for equalizing the pressure between the middle ear and the external auditory meatus.
(3) This middle ear bone is directly attached to the eardrum (tympanic membrane).
(4) This middle ear bone is directly attached to the oval window.
(5) Moving from the eardrum (tympanic membrane) to the oval window of the inner ear, the middle ear bones (ossicles) are arranged in this order: