The auditory system is responsible for converting sound waves in the environment into electrical signals that the brain can receive and utilize as useful information about the sound characteristics of the external environment. Test your basic knowledge of auditory physiology by taking this simple quiz.
(1) Name one skeletal muscle located in the middle ear.
(2) Tensor tympani, a skeletal muscle located in the middle ear, is attached to this middle ear bone.
(3) Stapedius, a skeletal muscle located in the middle ear, is attached to this middle ear bone.
(4) Contraction of this skeletal muscle dampens sound-induced vibrations of the eardrum.
(5) In humans, the cochlea (located in the inner ear) is approximately __________ mm in length.