Endocrinology is defined as the study of how chemical messenger molecules, referred to as hormones, influence physiological processes. By definition, a hormone is a signaling molecule that is released into the bloodstream, where the hormone can then travel to distant target cells and tissues within the body. Along with the nervous system, the hormones of the endocrine system provide an important means by which information travels within the body. Test your basic knowledge of the endocrine system by taking this simple quiz.
(1) This messenger molecule released from the hypothalamus inhibits anterior pituitary gland prolactin synthesis and release.
(2) Secretions of the hypothalamus (releasing and inhibiting factors) reach the anterior pituitary gland via the __________ portal system.
(3) All of the following are synthesized by and released from the anterior pituitary gland except:
(4) Which of the following is/are synthesized by and released from the anterior pituitary gland?
(5) Which of the following is/are released from the posterior pituitary gland?